So I posted this picture on facebook last week and got a lot of response – so I thought I would share the recipe. Even though it has lots of bacon and cheese, it’s still a good source of calcium and and I need the greens for the folic acid… so I’d say this is still pretty good for a pregnancy craving. I got this recipe from my friend, Richiella. Enjoy!
Mac & Cheese with Spinach & Bacon (serves 6)
3 cups uncooked bow-tie (farfalle) pasta (or you can use those ‘twisted’ pasta hehe)
1/2 lb sliced bacon, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 bag (6 oz) fresh baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
1. Boil pasta with oil and a little bit of salt.
2. Cook bacon over medium heat 5-8 minutes, stirring often, until crisp; remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
3. Heat butter and reserved bacon drippings over medium heat until butter is melted. Add garlic, cook 30 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper with whisk until smooth. Stir in milk; heat to boiling. Stir in cheese until melted and sauce is smooth.
4. Pour cheese sauce over pasta; stir until coated. Stir in spinach. Reserve 1/4 cup of the bacon; stir remaining bacon into pasta mixture.
5. Divide pasta mixture among 6 serving bowls; garnish with reserved bacon.