MH’s parents have been visiting with us for the last couple of months. They are missionaries to the Philippines – and this is Matt’s Dad’s favorite! Please note, this isn’t the authentic filipino way of making Chicken Adobo, I guess you could say it’s a bit fusion. But it’s super easy and I think a perfect dish to introduce someone to filipino food.
– 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into cubes
– cooking oil
– 1 tablespoon minced garlic
– a palmful of onion flakes (you can use half a fresh onion)
– 1/2 cup of soy sauce
– 1/2 cup of vinegar
– 2 tablespoons of sugar
– salt & pepper
– 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
(Optional: Marinate chicken with salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of sugar)
1) Cook garlic and onions in heated cooking oil until nice and golden brown.
2) Add chicken to pot and cook.
3) Remove liquid from cooked chicken and set aside.
4) Add soy sauce and vinegar and bring to a boil (do not stir until after it is boiled). Then add the sugar and stir.
5) Stir cornstarch into the liquid that you had set aside and pour back into the pot.
6) Bring to a boil then lower the heat for a few minutes.
Serve on a bed of rice. I hope you enjoy our family favorite 🙂